Sunday, December 02, 2007

Vintage Starlet of the Day

Joan Bennett's glamorous style has peaked my interest lately. She was the younger sister of Constance Bennett, and also had her fair share of movie parts. Joan appeared in films throughout the 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's. I've only seen her 1940's film noir parts, but I would love to see more. She was one of the actresses who actually gained more stardom and better roles when she dyed her hair from blonde to brunette. Which is great I thought, because it usually seems to be the other way around. She has two completely opposite looks. Do you like Joan better as a blonde or brunette?

9 comments:

Amy said...

Gosh they really knew how to look glamourous back then...way better than the celebrities these days...

Anonymous said...

I think she looks more Femme Fatale as a brunette & a little more innocent as a blonde~~at least that photo.
Either way~~she's absolutely beautiful! Bet the paparazzi never caught her in flip flops!
Michelle

Unknown said...

I think she's gorgeous either way! Though it is true that she looks more femme fatale as a brunette and more like a not-so-innocent pinup as a blonde. I love it when people share icons who may not be as well known as the same old, same old!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I completely agree with theredvelvetshoe. There is something very sweet in her blonde look, but something very dangerous and powerful in her brunette look. I can understand how she got more work as a brunette.

miss vintage love said...

"Gosh they really knew how to look glamourous back then...way better than the celebrities these days..."

Exactly my thoughts Amy!

"Either way~~she's absolutely beautiful! Bet the paparazzi never caught her in flip flops!"

No kidding Michelle!!

Vintage Bunny said...

Brunette!
I love her eyes and lips!They are perfect

WendyB said...

I vote for brunette.

Gina said...

That's interesting! Honestly she is stunning in both hair colors!

In Yr Fshn said...

Wow, I can see the resemblance very clearly between this lovely starlet and Debra Messing... am I the only one?
Beautiful both, though I do like the coyness of her blonde look.