Sunday, December 14, 2008

Vintage Fashion 1929

I found this picture and I had to post it. Recognize the ladies in the middle? If not, it's Clara Bow and Jean Harlow in a photo from the late 1920's film "The Saturday Night Kid". All the girls are so adorable, and so are their dresses! Clara Bow's wardrobe for the film didn't fit, so she passed it on to the then unknown actress Jean Harlow, who was very grateful and apparently never forgot the favor. Obviously Clara, being the huge star that she was, must of had the most desirable and gorgeous wardrobes for her films. I love the dress Clara is wearing in the above photo, the buttons, the pleated skirt, the collar, so beautiful! All the girls look so great.

11 comments:

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Love the hairstyles too, with those cute spit curls in front of the ears.

Siru said...

I love the glamour old movie starts have, no one nowadays can get even close to it.

juliet xxx

Cate said...

I love that era, back then smoking was still glamourous ;) And I'd sure be grateful too if Clara Bow gave me her clothes.

Couture Carrie said...

Love Clara Bow! Fabulous photo!

xoxox,
CC

Kira Aderne said...

the 20s are fun!

a kiss friend!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Amazing photo. I love both of these photos and now I really want to see this film. It's funny-they're such different actresses--I never imagine them together.

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

I recognized jean with that that plathim hair of hers.

Anonymous said...

Love this photo!! The look, the style...all of it!!

Miss Vintage said...

That is an awesome pic!!

Futura said...

This film was released by Paramount very late in 1929, I believe it was miss Bows second talkie, and perhaps miss Harlows first decent role in a feature length film, by the end of the next year, she would be a star. 1929 was such a great year for fashion, still rather flapper-ish yet with stong preludes of what was to come in the early 30's

Futura said...

P.S. Clara Bow was well known for being a kind spirited, generous albeit simple (sometimes to her detriment) lady, her offscreen persona was not entirely unlike the women she played onscreen.